Friday 19 August 2011

Self Portrait Challenge!

Self portraits are difficult! Set up is time consuming, with a lot of to-ing and fro-ing in front of and behind the camera. You also have no idea how you look in front of the camera, so there is a lot of running to and from it, to see what the shots look like and whether or not you're actually in focus! This process is further complicated if using the self timer mode on the camera, as there is a greater chance that you won't be in focus and you may find that you're not in the frame at all.

After a few failed attempts I decided to purchase a remote control for my camera, to save myself from some of the running about and to make it easier to focus. After quite a few attempts (60 in total!), this is what I managed:


I found focusing tricky at first, but started to get the hang of it after a while. Post it notes would have been handy for this exercise, not only to use as a focal point, but also to frame the shot. Instead, I made do with my Blackberry as there was not a post it note in sight at home!




After I had set the camera to focus on my Blackberry, I then tried to get into the frame, replacing the phone with myself. No easy feat to begin with!

I'm not used to being in front of the camera and am far more comfortable behind it, but I hope to learn something from it by effectively walking myself through a portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment